I’ve heard it so many times. “I only clean my face once a day because…….” Fill in the blank. I’ve heard all kinds of reasons, none of which are good ones or ones that make sense. Unless a dermatologist has instructed you to only cleanse once a day then you should be cleansing twice a day, in the morning when you wake up and at night before bed.
Cleansing in the morning
I’ve had clients say they don’t cleanse in the morning because they cleanse at night and they don’t do anything in their sleep so they feel that their face is still clean when they wake up the next day….WRONG!!!! A lot happens in your sleep whether you realize it or not. Here are some things you may not think about:
- You sweat. A lot of people sweat in their sleep. Sweating isn’t bad; it helps your body release toxins but that needs to be cleaned off when you wake up.
- Your face touches your pillow, hair, sheets, or anything on or in your bed. Most people don’t wash their pillows, pillow cases or even their hair for that matter everyday. Your face touches all of these things while you sleep, leaving whatever germs and/or bacteria is on them, on your face. Unless you plan on cleaning all those items everyday, cleanse your face in the morning. Please and thank you.
- Being touched. Whether you’re touched by your significant other, your pet, or your child chances are they may be touching you with an unclean body part. Not saying unclean as in they haven’t bathed but unclean with normal germs we accumulate.
- Your body, including your skin, rejuvenates itself at night. What better way to start that process than with a freshly cleansed face!
Cleansing at night
Cleansing at night is a MUST!!! You should be cleansing twice but I know there are some stubborn know it alls out there. So I tell those people if you must clean your face only once a day do it at night. Cleansing at night gets rid of all the pollution, dirt, germs, and bacteria that are in the air we breathe everyday, things that can clog pores and cause acne.
Your night routine can help you pamper yourself while preparing for bed. I find that after I shower I take time to cleanse my face, tone, use my serums (usually 2-3), treat my skin (usually with retinol or hydroquinone), and moisturize. It makes me feel so fresh and relaxed for bed. And I sleep like a baby. You can have your own spa like routine that gets you nice and relaxed before bed.
Reasons you should cleanse at night:
- Overnight your skin needs oxygen to breathe, which requires a clean face with clean pores.
- Blood flow is higher at night. When blood flow increases your products penetrate deeper into the skin causing them to work more effectively.
- Your skin is hydrated. Not cleansing your skin can cause your skin to become hydrated, even if you have oily skin. Because we all know oily skin can be dehydrated. If you didn’t know, read this post.
I hope this post helps you guys understand more. There is definitely a science to this. Even if you’re skeptical try it out. Take 2-3 minutes in the morning and 3-5 minutes at night for your cleansing routine. Do that for 4 weeks and you’ll see and feel a difference in your skin.
As always, if you guys have any questions or want to know more about a certain topic just let me know and I’ll make it happen!